The holiday of a lifetime awaits you in southern and eastern Africa!
The African continent is home to some of the world’s most incredible natural landscapes and wildlife viewing opportunities, but that’s just the beginning of what’s in store for intrepid travellers. Immerse yourself in age-old cultures, connect with an often turbulent past, savour the flavours of diverse cuisines, and so much more.
No visit to South Africa would be complete without a stay in cosmopolitan Cape Town at the foot of soaring Table Mountain. The Rainbow Nation’s biggest city — Johannesburg — is also becoming increasingly popular with travellers and offers a wealth of unexpected experiences. From Johannesburg, it’s a 400-kilometre drive to Kruger National Park — arguably the most famous wildlife reserve in Africa.
Top Oz Tours offers a great range of Africa day tours, guided experiences, and attraction tickets and passes. There are no booking or credit card fees when you book through us, and you'll have access to the widest choice of activities and most competitive prices.
Journey through Botswana to the incomparable Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park. Just a short distance north-east of Chobe lies Victoria Falls — one of the natural wonders of the world. It’s fed by the mighty Zambezi River, which flows through Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Up in East Africa, the open savannahs of the Serengeti, Masai Mara, and Amboseli teem with wildlife. Predators stalk huge herds of antelope and ancient elephant trails snake across the plains. Lake Naivasha and Lake Nakuru are home to an amazing array of bird species — including huge colonies of flamingos.
Top Oz Tours now offers a great range of fully escorted multi-day tours in Africa. And we're offering $100 AUD per person off all new bookings placed via our new tour concierge line. Browse the available options, find the tour of your choice, and contact us to make your booking. It's that easy!
Africa travel tips
1. Only got a limited amount of time to get to know a new city? Our Big Five City Guides can help. We break each destination down into culture, history, dining, shopping and relaxation must-sees and dos. Access our city guides here.
2. Check the Australian Government’s Smart Traveller website for travel advisories about your chosen destination.
3. Africa is a continent of huge weather extremes. In terms of animal viewing, the dry season is usually the best time to visit as the grass is low and visibility is better. However this can also be peak tourist season and prices may be considerably higher. In East Africa the wildebeest migration occurs between July and October. In Southern Africa the dry season runs from May to October, which is the best time to visit Kruger National Park. Note: It can get incredibly cold in Africa even in the warmer months — particularly on early morning game drives. Always pack warmly!
4. As you would expect, there is every conceivable style of touring available in Africa. If you are contemplating an extended overland safari check the standard of the vehicles used. Some are extremely basic and therefore they can be extremely uncomfortable over the long distances covered. Check also whether you will be required to assist with food preparation and cleanup etc. If you are camping then a good quality self-inflating mattress, pillow and head-lamp are essential items of kit.
5. Check with your doctor regarding immunisations required for Africa (particularly Yellow Fever) and pack a comprehensive First Aid kit. Generally the standard of food and food hygiene is very good but always exercise caution. As always, freshly cooked is best.
6. Africa’s wildlife is awe-inspiring, but always show it respect. Give all wild animals a wide berth, even those that seem right at home in your hotel grounds. The hippo is the deadliest threat of all and attacks are largely driven by fear rather than a predatory nature. Follow the directions of your guides at all times, particularly when on foot.
7. Perseverance is the name of the game on game drives and no two drives are ever the same. Something amazing will always happen, usually when you least expect it. Be still and quiet as much as possible. Keep all arms, legs, other body parts and cameras inside your safari vehicle. Animals generally only make out the overall shape of the vehicle — until someone, or something, breaks the shape. Then they’ll probably decide to flee, or possibly, in the case of baboons and lions, take a closer look!
8. While travelling in Africa be vigilant but not paranoid. Be open to experiences but be aware of your surroundings and personal safely at all times. Poverty is widespread and petty crime can be a problem. Avoid travelling alone in isolated areas or city centres at night. If something feels wrong, it probably is. Trust your intuition!
Africa travel essentials
You can book many aspects of your holiday on the Top Oz Tours and Travel Ideas website, including hotels, car hire, travel insurance, and more. When you purchase a product or service using the following links from our partners, we receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay, and it enables us to continue to provide readers with amazing travel inspiration.
Compare airlines, flights, and fares in one place with Booking.com. They don’t charge any credit card fees and you can always see exactly what you’re paying for in the price breakdown. You can book one-way, round-trip, and multi-city flights, and change your travel dates with ease when you opt for a flexible ticket option (an additional cost applies). It all adds up to a great flight! Search for flights with Booking.com
If you’re looking for a great deal on your next hotel or homestay, look no further than Booking.com. Their mission is to make travel affordable and accessible to more people, and to deliver seamless accommodation experiences that complement your holiday. Search for hotels and homestays with Booking.com
Discover Cars is an award-winning (World Travel Awards) car rental comparison website, which helps customers find, compare, and hire cars at the most competitive prices globally. You’ll get access to meticulously maintained cars, 4WDs, and minibuses from the world’s leading brands, and at the best possible price. Search for hire cars with Discover Cars
Campervans & motorhomes
Make Jucy your first choice for campervan and motorhome hire. Since 2001, this progressive company has had a vision to be world-famous for enabling experience seekers to discover happiness on the road. The Jucy crew live and breathe their core values of passion, pride, family, and fun, and these values influence every one of their interactions with customers. They’re ready to help you find ‘your happy’! Search for campervans and motorhomes with Jucy
Day tours & experiences
Search and book day tours, guided experiences, and attraction tickets and passes worldwide with Top Oz Tours and Viator. There are no booking or credit card fees when you book through us, and you’ll have access to the widest choice of activities and most competitive prices. Browse day tours and experiences
Multi-day tours & trips
Travelling on an extended tour with a local guide is a wonderful way to immerse yourself in the destination of your choice. Top Oz Tours has joined forced with Tour Radar to bring you a fabulous range of multi-day tours and trips from the world’s leading operators. Travel with like minded people and get the best possible price on the holiday of your dreams. Browse multi-day tours and trips
World Nomads aims to be a part of every traveller’s journey by providing a reassuring range of travel insurance services. Travellers can buy insurance, extend their policy, and claim online, 24/7, on the road or from home. Travel insurance benefits include coverage for emergency medical and evacuation or repatriation, lost baggage, trip cancellation, and more than 150 adventure activities. Get an insurance costing from World Nomads
Do you have any tips to add to our Africa travel guide? We would love to hear from you. Please send us a message.
The information contained in this guide is general in nature and does not constitute professional advice in any way. We make every effort to ensure this content is accurate, but we do not guarantee it. You should do your own research and seek the advice of professionals before acting or relying on any of the information provided in this guide.